One of my favorite icebreakers is to go around the room and ask people to respond to 1-3 fairly innocuous questions. I wrote about this kind of icebreaker in an earlier post that turned out to be quite popular. This page is even more popular, and with over 17,000 page views!
Together we can make this an even better resource!
Add your questions in the comments. I’ll move them into the main list, editing for clarity, and credit you in the comments. (HINT for creating your own: These questions work best if they are a choice between 2 things or a question about a single favorite thing.) If you want to add your story about how you used these questions, and what happened, that would be great too.
Thanks for stopping by.
How to use these questions:
You can use one or more questions to start your weekly staff meeting or any gathering so your group can get to know each other over time. For larger groups or longer time slots, putting 24 of these on a bingo card is a fun mixer. No matter how well team members know each other, they always learn something about each other. Thanks to coach Michael Tertes for the original list.
+ + + + +
1. What time did you get up this morning?
2. Diamonds or pearls?
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?
4. What is your favorite T.V. show?
5. What do you usually have for breakfast?
6. What is your middle name?
7. Favorite cuisine?
8. What foods do you dislike?
9. What is your favorite chip flavor?
10. What is your favorite CD at the moment?
11. What kind of car do you drive?
12. Favorite sandwich?
13. What characteristic do you most dislike in yourself? In others?
14. Favorite item of clothing?
15. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go?
16. What color is your bathroom?
17. Favorite brand of clothing?
18. Where would you retire to?
19. What was your most memorable birthday?
20. Favorite sport to watch?
21. Most embarrassing moment?
22. Proudest moment?
23. Goal you have for yourself?
24. How do you like to celebrate your birthday?
25. Are you a morning person or a night person?
26. What is your favorite dessert?
28. What is your hobby?
29. What did you want to be when you were little?
30. What did you actually become?
31. What is your favorite candy?
32. What is your favorite flower?
33. What date your calendar you are looking forward to?
34. What CD is in your car?
35. What is the last book you read?
36. What is your favorite food?
37. What is your favorite restaurant?
38. What is your favorite drink?
39. Which is your favorite way to dance: with others or alone?
40. What is your favorite color?
41. What’s the most unusual job you’ve ever had?
42. What’s your favorite travel destination? (been there or want to go)
43. What characteristics do you admire (in self or others)?
44. What always makes you laugh?
45. What is something no one here knows about you?
46. What’s your idea of the perfect day?
47. How do you describe what you do for a living to your friends? To strangers at a party? To your family?
48. Describe your closet.
49. How do you take your coffee/tea?
50. Sweet or salty?
51. Most important quality in a friend?
52. What would you name you pet gorilla (lizard, ferret, kangaroo, clown fish, etc.)? (you could fill an entire bingo card with animals)
53. Describe your perfect day off.
54. Favorite museum?
55. What interest haven’t you pursued, but have always wanted to and what draws you to it?
56. Oils, pastels, acrylics or water colors?
57. Favorite comic?
58. Favorite comic strip character?
59. Favorite artist?
60. Piece of art that moved you deeply?
61. All-time favorite movie?
62. Favorite game?
63. If you had a second-life avatar, would it look just like you?
64. Favorite character?
65. Cook in or eat out?
66. Favorite drink?
67. What’s your favorite season (Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring)?
68. Have you ever played the accordion? Has anyone in your family?
69. Have you ever played the banjo? Has anyone in your family?
70. What makes you laugh out loud?
71. When was the last time you got the giggles at an inappropriate time?
72. What is your favorite kind of music?
73. What movie star, musician or artist have you spent hours learning about?
74. What was the last thing you geeked-out about? Where were you?
GOOD ANNUAL OR QUARTERLY REVIEW QS:
75. What was the highlight of the year for you?
76. What might not have happened if you hadn’t been involved? (this one is especially good for those who have trouble claiming their successes)