I’m taking up the challenge from Etienne over at The Happy Employee. What are the five things I’d tell the managers I work with if I were about to die?
1. Get more sleep. You’ve read the studies. You’ve seen the effects in others. Get more rest. We will love you for it.
2. Get more help, especially when you’re overwhelmed. Sure it may not be done just the way you’d do it, but it will be done. (This is advice I should take myself. And I will, as soon as I get up from my nap.)
3. Have more fun. That’s where all the innovation is hiding – in workgroups where they are having fun. Also, it’s very difficult to be anxious when you’re laughing.
4. Make appreciation a habit. Ask each person on your staff to coffee or lunch and get them to tell you the story of how they accomplished something they are proud of.
5. Leave room for other’s to add their thoughts. Do some things at the 80% level so others feel comfortable joining in.